Tuesday, December 9, 2008

so many country cousins

From the 6 Yates siblings--there are 17 living cousins. My grandparents William Raymond Yates and Mildred Lee Wilson Yates had Robert, Wilson and Frank, then Catherine, Malline and Frances, all of whom go by their middle names and not given names--a old southern tradition. Of course Robert died at the end of WWII, so the remaining 5 siblings had all 17 children. We took a picture at Aunt Margaret's funeral on the steps of Pleasant Grove--missing only 2 first cousins--Barry and Don, even though there are a few extra cousins in the picture (2nd cousins and 1st cousins once removed? how does that go again?)

I am the second youngest. Many of my cousins are grandparents, and have children not much younger than me. I thought everyone had crazy families like this -- I'm so sad for those who don't. I love my family!

No comments: